• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sectorknight21

Captain
45 Badges
Mar 13, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Author's Introduction -

Well, here's my very first Vicky 2 AAR. It'll be a combination of history and gameplay with maybe some mediocre narrative thrown in if I ever get bored. Just try to remember that if this ever makes it to past 1846 it'll be a feat worthy of the gods, since I usually tend to fly around when it comes to AARs. Something else, is that I'm relatively new to Vicky 2 and was never too good at Ricky to begin with so I could use whatever suggestions you guys throw my way (especially in the department of industrialization).

So without further ado, I bring you the introduction to The Strength to Go On. Expect an update later today or early tomorrow.

---------------------------
Introduction -

"Colombians! My last wish is for the happiness of the fatherland. If my death contributes to the end of partisanship and the consolidation of the Union, I shall lowered in peace into my grave."
Simon Bolivar, December 8th, 1830

Simon_Bolivar.jpg
Simon Bolivar​
Unfortunately for Mr. Bolivar, mere months after his death "Colombia" delved into chaos, and separatism. by 1831, three separate states were born, Ecuador, New Granada (officially Colombia) and Venezuela. What could have been a leading nation in Latin America that stood for "Order and Liberty", just as the nation's motto stated, was destroyed in a matter of months due to Bolivar's want of a centralized state in which all roads "led to Bogota". But new winds were blowing. Times were changing, and by 1836, things were looking to change drastically. With the election of Colombia's newest president Pedro Alcántara Herrán, a former general of the Colombian army whom had fought alongside Bolivar against the Loyalists. He had risen on a platform of "Pan-Colombianism", in short, Herran wanted the reintegration of Ecuador and Venezuela into Colombia to "restore lost glory". Needless to say, Quito and Venezuela weren't to happy over the new Colombian presidents agenda which required the end of their regimes and sovereignty. The 1800s had just become a whole lot more interesting for Latin America...

Reserved

The Beginning of the Madness Part One, 1836 - 1837

V2_1.jpg

Colombia begins the year by commencing research on new economic doctrines, such as Freedom of Trade, hoping to bring in profits for industrialization and to supply the army with the latest weapons from Europe.

V2_2.jpg

President Herran alongside several advisers, set the latest taxation policies. While at first not very popular, within the coming months with some propaganda and investments into public facilities the opposition simply dissolved.

V2_3.jpg

Despite Herran and the Conservative party's victories in setting tax policies and high popularity, they are hit with a great defeat. The Conservative Party, often known to be known to be a party of the landowners and extremely wealthy are curtailed when a new demographic is brought in by the Liberals in Congress, as they allow several more groups to vote. While at first this could be seen as unimportant and a minor set back, the Liberals vow to place more reforms in the future. Luckily, it won't be for a while as...

V2_6.jpg

The liberals seem to forgot to gauge how popular the reform would be. It wasn't very popular, therefore, the Liberal Party loses many seats in the next Congressional Elections. Regardless, the Conservatives and Reactionaries are very wary of the Liberals agenda of reform.

V2_4.jpg

In foreign affairs, a new rivalry is born. In July, as a Colombian citizen along the opening of the Amazons is captured by Brazilian border guards. He is held for questioning, and was scheduled to be held in front of a Brazilian court. Unfortunately, the citizen attempted to flee rather than stay in a court which he knew would unanimously hold him responsible and be forced to spend several years in a foreign prison. He is currently lost in the Amazons, and there isn't much hope for his survival. However, this did not stop the Brazilian government from forbidding Colombian search parties to begin a general search for the man. Due to egos on both sides of the border, this event is blown into an international affair and aggressive posturing begins for both Colombia and Brazil.

-----------------------

July 1st, 1837 Presidential Residence

President Herran looked over at the city of Bogota, unable to sleep, he decided to do what he did best when he had a night of no sleep, look upon the capital and think. The sun was just beginning to peak over the mountains, it would be a great Summer's day, warm and sunny. Despite the sunny prognostic of the day, a heavy cloud hung over Herran. 'Am I truly doing the correct thing? Is there really a need for an aggressive war with Ecuador? With Venezuela?' A war now would mean the deaths of several hundreds if not thousands of Colombian youths, it would all hang upon my shoulders... Morality aside, practicality also manages to weasel it way into my dreams. If Brazil decides to take advantage of our troops in Ecuador, what would that leave us? Sure the Amazons would slow them, but for how long? How long until the reach the interior? How long until they reach this great city...?" He thought.

Suddenly, the Minister of War, Juan Manuel Cruz appears in the distance, he walks with a steady pace, flanked by two armed guards. He appears just below Herran's wooden balcony and nods his head. It was time for a decision. 'But if I hold back now, the generals would never let me live it down... literally. Colombia is not unfamiliar with regime changes, especially brought upon by the military.' Minister Cruz, growing impatient, as most generals are, speaks. "What is your decision, Mister President? Do we go to war, or not?", Cruz looks up, despite the lack of light, Herran could see the look of anxiousness in his eye, the gleam that he had seen many times in the wars of independence, the thirst, not for blood, but rather for glory. "Tell the generals on the front... to commence the march to Quito, remind them of my expectations for the city to fall before October" Said Herran. A smile spread across Cruz's face, "As you wish, Mister President." And with that, the plan was sealed, the troops would receive the message before dinnertime.

V2_7.jpg

Nice.
Good update so far, I have a question tho´ why did you decide to attack Ecuador having a CB on Brazil?
Was the CB after?attrition perharps?

PS: Viva Colombia!!!

Nice.
Good update so far, I have a question tho´ why did you decide to attack Ecuador having a CB on Brazil?
Was the CB after?attrition perharps?

Brazil has a larger army. The attrition thing... I'll learn about it the hard way in Ecuador.

PS: Viva Colombia!!!

Indeed :)

I never played as Colombia before so this one is new to me. However, I like how this is going.

Subscribed! :D

Thanks!

I think colombia is one of the hardest nations to play, good luck to you and Vive la Gran Colombia! ^^

Thank you. Its not impossible I assume, I haven't played as Colombia seriously yet so we'll have to see.

Expect an update later today or tomorrow.

What an interesting opening gambit, indeed. President Herran is going to face a lot of war with that decision, but at least he understands the consequences. I am not so sure about the Ministry of War, however... But one cannot always choose ones allies, politically. Keep an eye on him, and President Herran or yourself have any quetsions, an abundance of aid lies in wait. :)

Good AAR so far, looking forward to more!

Ecuador...hmm.....the easiest target in south america...well i say you go after venezuela or UCA next as they are the weakest targets for you except from ecuador....dont fight brazil or peru....i could be very devestating. Peru might have a smaller population but they have the mountains to defend whit and the brazilians must have a larger army than you and can abuse the amazonas forest for defense. i say you prey on ecuador and maybe haiti for the time being, you gonna need a navy for haitin tough.

I enjoyed playing Colombia in original Vicky but haven't given them a go in V:2, as such I'm intrigued to see how your BolivAARian exploits go down (see my pun ;) )

Thanks!

Hey! I see what you did there, sneaky, sneaky...

;)

What an interesting opening gambit, indeed. President Herran is going to face a lot of war with that decision, but at least he understands the consequences. I am not so sure about the Ministry of War, however... But one cannot always choose ones allies, politically. Keep an eye on him, and President Herran or yourself have any quetsions, an abundance of aid lies in wait. :)

Good AAR so far, looking forward to more!

Indeed, Herran is a worthy statesman, if a bit naive and too trusting of his colleagues. Must come from serving under Bolivar for so long.

Ecuador...hmm.....the easiest target in south america...well i say you go after venezuela or UCA next as they are the weakest targets for you except from ecuador....dont fight brazil or peru....i could be very devestating. Peru might have a smaller population but they have the mountains to defend whit and the brazilians must have a larger army than you and can abuse the amazonas forest for defense. i say you prey on ecuador and maybe haiti for the time being, you gonna need a navy for haitin tough.

I plan on taking Ecuador and Venezuela first. Ecuador is always easy, Venezuela on the other hand is a little more difficult..

Alright, as embarrassing as it is... I need to delay until tomorrow. Had some unexpected workload today at work and school so I'll see if I can get the update done tomorrow.

The Beginning of the Madness Part Two, 1837 - 1838

July 27th, 1837, Fifteen Miles from the city of Quito

It was a hot summer's day... for the Andes, which wasn't very warm at all, neatly dressed men marched in an even more neatly filled line. For over a mile, the troops moved, perfectly. They moved for many things. The usual, "Patria, Honor, Familia"[1] as the recruitment posters that were sprinkled all over Medellin, Bogota, Cali, and Cartagena. They went for their country, and their families. But there were some, who are a little less sure why they are fighting. Even though the decision to invade Ecuador was well received across the nation, for some it was less popular. Some peace demonstrations held in Panama City were the only major disruptions. Unfortunately, the demonstrations were put down quite brutally, making some wonder just what was happening to democracy in Colombia.

"... Its just some jingoistic drivel said by some politicians to turn the country away from some real issues, what exactly was the reason to declare war? None!" Said the twenty year old Private Andres Caballero. "Always with this blind rhetoric against the government for doing logical things. You always seem to be against everything the government is doing, no matter how apt it may seem, no wonder you liberals are doing so bad! " Said Sergent Felipe Cardona, head of the group which was followed by some laughter from the men within earshot. "Yes, that's exactly why the Liberal Party lost so many seats in Congress... oh wait." quipped Andres, he could expect no support or laughter in agreement, after all the army was dominated by conservatives, from Minister of War Cruz to the boys on the ground in boots. "That's only a minor setback, Private, we'll dominate the next elections, I'm sure of it." Said a corporal. "Not if we're still in this freezing hellhole! I mean, listen all of you gun-ho soldiers may want to bring about the restoration of 'La Gran Colombia' as ordained by St. Bolivar himself, but what are we gaining by annexing this hole in the mountains?!" said Andres with a smile, which this time was accompanied by laughter in agreement. "Don't worry, Caballero, sometime soon, we'll be taking a vacation in Caracas!" yelled a passing officer with a grin. Laughter erupted amongst the ranks of men, even the anti-war Andres laughed, Lt. Fletcher always had good jokes to lift the mood.

"Now, back to my merciless beating of Caballero in an argument!" said Sergent Cardona. Of course Andres had no intention of taking that. "Well, if this war, and the many to come, is so important, then why is it that we have to start with Ecuador of all places!", Cardona responded quickly with barely letting the issue sit. "Look at that man over there" Cardona quickly pointed to a man in a blue uniform, he mingled with the marching Colombian soldiers despite knowing little to no Spanish, he carried the ever-so recognizable "Stars and Stripes" of the United States stitched on to his arm. "That's an American 'spectator', he's here to watch us fight." Cardon briefly paused and looked around for someone else."Now, look over there." Cardona pointed once again, this time to a man on horseback, he wore the tell-tale "redcoat" denoting him as British, inspecting the lines closely. "That's a British spectator, now are you still willing to refute the importance of this war? It's only the beginning of something much more grand. Today we take a bit of Ecuador, tomorrow, what remains. And some day in the future, we shall strike against Venezuela, and take back what was ours since 1812!" Cardona had said the above with such a resolve and certainty, that it caused Andres to get quiet and most of the men to erupt in applause.

Andres wasn't like most Colombian soldiers. He was what many would decry as an "intellectual". He was a Liberal, wore glasses, and worst of all, he had no facial hair and neatly shaved almost every morning. He didn't believe in the war he was currently fighting in, but since the end of his secondary school education, university costs went through the roof and he was unable to pay for a further education at the University of Antioquia. He joined the army as a last recourse, with no options and no cash he was forced to fight abroad where day-to-day things such as food and shelter were made available for him.

No one had any idea of what was to happen at Quito, the men were anxious. It was to be a wild ride.

August 1st, Colombian forces link up outside of Quito, Ecuador's capital.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

V2_8.jpg

The fighting was quick yet brutal, for the Ecuadorians at least. Colombia used the latest tactics that were in operation in Europe, stunning the Ecuadorians and their obsolete doctrines and arms. The assault began quickly in the farmlands immediately surrounding the city. General Fernando Bonnet used his superior numbers to quickly assault the Ecuadorians who were using a shield like wall of troops to stop the incoming invaders from touching the city. Casualties were quickly piling up for Fransisco Javier Salazar, head of Ecuadorian defense of the city, but he could not do anything to stop it. A retreat would signify the end of the war before it even truly began, but any semblance of reinforcements were still in Quayaquil, a city to the southeast. After six days of fighting, and brave cavalry charges by Colombia which tore up the right flanks of Ecuador's army, Gen. Salazar was forced to fall back to the city.

V2_9.jpg

While in Quito, Fransisco began a hit and run campaign (akin-able to guerrilla warfare of today) of attrition in which most of the 160 casualties of the Colombians were made. Ecuadorian soldiers used homes and shops as their armor and innocent civilians as their shield. The battle was hard fought, but unfortunately for Ecuador, the strain was too much, and the president was forced to go into hiding, the Army of Ecuador would pay deeply for his sins as it faced its total destruction. The Army, knowing defeat was imminent, withdrew alongside the president to cover his retreat. It would prove fatal as Colombian troops quickly took care of the retreating men, the remaining 3,000 men, many of whom were young men and boys whom had reinforced the brigade while they fought in the city, were killed or wounded. Of those casualties, General Salazar was among the dead, and was given a proper military burial after the war ended for his courageous defense of Quito and the president.

V2_11.jpg

By April of 1838, after taking Guayaquil and slamming several remnants of the Ecuadorian Army, peace was proposed to Ecuador on the terms of relinquishing their control over the state of Pastaza. The Ecuadorian president as quick to accept, and the Peace of Pasto was signed (Pasto is a small town by the Colombian-Ecuadorian border).

V2_12.jpg

As Pastaza becomes a Colombian state, a rather unsavory practice is moved in to create profit. Due to the Conservative majority in Congress, Pastaza is declared a slave state much to the disgust of Liberals and moderate Conservatives. Conservative Senator, Marco Antonio Vellas, a firm opponent to slavery criticizes the legislature.

"If we as a nation, were founded by Simon Bolivar, a man who believed in freedom for the common man and equality for everyone, what are we doing by owning people? We deface our past and history for every slave that is on Colombian soil! Every day, I see that this party is becoming more and more in favor of the encroaching aristocracy and are catering to their demands rather than those of the citizen of this great nation"

Regardless to the opposition, the bill still passed. However, it would hurt Conservative standing in the nation.

V2_15.jpg

An outbreak of Cholera amongst the returning troops forces the government to quarantine them. It still doesn't stop the spread of it to a major Colombian port of Cali. The situation is quickly dealt with but not without its casualties. Two brigades, one infantry and another cavalry are utterly destroyed and integrated with other brigades. The official report is that due to failures by the army to address sanitation issues and provide medicine to the troops, the disease spread quickly. More men are lost to Cholera than to all of the battles in the war.

V2_16.jpg

In other news, Colombia's investment in Freedom of Trade pays off. Literally. With this new economic policy, money begins to flow quickly into the Colombian treasury, allowing the government to lower taxes for the high and middle class.

V2_17.jpg

Finally, the Liberals climb in seats in Congress. These gains are largely attributed to the issue of slavery and the handling of the Cholera outbreak. The Conservatives are in fear of losing their majority.

V2_19.jpg

Colombia, as of 1839

Any comments?

Great update!!
Ecuador, was never more than just a stone in your path, how are your relations with the Americans?
Colombia is one of the countries they tend to add to their SOI, and from what I hear is profitable and good for you, to stay there.
IDK whats happening with this Vicky AAR section, it seems to me that it is slowly dying, what a shame.

Great update!!
Ecuador, was never more than just a stone in your path, how are your relations with the Americans?
Colombia is one of the countries they tend to add to their SOI, and from what I hear is profitable and good for you, to stay there.
IDK whats happening with this Vicky AAR section, it seems to me that it is slowly dying, what a shame.

Thanks, but I think I'll be staying out of the US's SOI. I already have decent relations with them after all! :)

I say that you rush for venezuela/ecuador and USCA before they become members of the USA SOI

They won't fall for a bit, after all I have to rebuild my army since I lost two brigades to attrition

------------

Speaking of that, what's a good way to combat attrition, the medicine tech?

Although a new slave state is always a tragedy, this will become a boon - by ousting the pro-slavery factions for their unpopular actions (made all the more stinging by mention of Bolivar), it should be possible to ban the practice outright. A pleasant outcome, made more pleasant still by new territory. I also really liked the opening scene. It's becoming increasingly rare to display soldiers as the very diverse group they are; I'd hope that folks wouldn't assume that because I farm, for example it automatically means I'm a rural bumpkin! (I am, but that's the exception, not the rule! ;) ) I'm worried for Andres future, however - the Liberales haven't gained a majority yet, and the Army is going to benefit from this surge in expansionism...

Medecine helps, but it would also help
to divide up the army once the enemy´s is dealt with, that will reduce the attrition casualties =D